Accessing Free Legal Aid in Ethiopia
Mulu Birhanu is disabled 24 year young woman with a BA degree in Marketing Management and a job in the Ethiopian Capital Addis Ababa.
Mulu persevered in following her dream of a getting a good education despite pressures from her family to drop out of school following the paralysis of both legs due to a medical case when she turned twelve.
- •The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has established 111 Free Legal Centres country-wide to provide legal aid to the most vulnerable groups at no charge
- The EHRC has invested US$266,513 in the Free Legal Centers
- •More than 12,000 people, mostly from the vulnerable groups within the society, have so far received free legal aid service from legal aid centers since 2010
Her job as a Trade Registration and License Officer of Gulele Woreda (District) in the Addis Ababa City Administration helps her earn a monthly salary of 1499 Ethiopian Birr (83.28 USD). But this young woman could have been a street girl, but for the intervention of the Ethiopian Institution of the Ombudsman (EIO), following the termination from her job.
Mulu’s nighmare started when shortly after her employment the Civil Service Agency issued a letter cancelling the employment contracts of 121 employees including hers, due to what it said was irregularity in the employment process. “I became hopeless and confused because not only had I lost my job but I was the only person who could not take my case to court as I could not afford paying court charges.”
She soon came to know about the Ethiopian Institution of the Ombudsman (EIO) and the free services it provides for vulnerable persons, particularly with disabilities. Mulu lodged her case with the EIO on the 3rd of February, 2012 and had an investigator assigned to handle her case. The EIO investigation uncovered that her employment had followed the appropriate procedure according to the Ethiopian labor law. When she suddenly lost her job Mulu found herself without any means to pay her house rent for the next month without her salary. As a result of intervention made by EIO she said, “I was saved from being a person not only suffering from the agony of my disability but also from the agony of being a person living in the streets where there are all kinds of evils such as hunger, harsh weather, rape by gangs and what have you ”.
Within one month of Mulu’s case going to the EIO, negotiation with the Civil Service Agencies led to her employer deciding to return her to her work; this proved to be faster resolution than the time taken by her fellow employees who had the finances to take their case to court themselves.
The Multi-donor Democratic Institution Programme which is administered by UNDP invested more than USD 85,000.00 for the last two and half years in building the capacity of the Women, Children and persons with Disabilities Directorate of the EIO which receives, investigates, negotiates and give recommendations to maladministration case of these sections of the society in Ethiopia.
- 👉 http://bit.ly/1wJtDcD - Interested in climate change? Take the UN CC:Learn e-course! It's free, self-paced and takes only 6 x 2 hours! - Vous voulez en apprendre davantage sur les changements climatiques? Essayez le cours en ligne UN CC:Learn! C'est gratuit, vous pouvez le suivre à votre propre rythme, et ne prend pas plus de 6 X 2 heures! - Interesado en el Cambio Climático? Haz el curso de autoaprendizaje en línea de UN CC:Learn! Es gratis, y sólo lleva 6x2 horas! #climatechange #UN #online #free #ecourse #MOOC #environment #COP21 #COP22 #climateaction #actionclimate #parisagreement #cambioclimático #changementclimatique #education #forestry #cities #health #finance #policy #learn UNITAR UN Geneva United Nations UNEP UN-REDD Programme (FAO/UNDP/UNEP) United Nations Development Programme - UNDP World Health Organization (WHO) UN-HABITAT Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) UNFCCC UN CC:Learn about an hour ago
- What does each of the 17 Global Goals stand for? Find out over the next 17 days. The countdown is on! PS - Our #Pandas4GlobalGoals competition ends together with the countdown. Get creative now and enter here to win a trip to China: bit.ly/29ZOZfT 8 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook