6 Ensure environmental sustainability
Where we are?
The MDG 7 has four specific targets. The first of these targets requires the country to integrate the principles of sustainable development into national policies and programmes and to reverse the loss of environmental resources. Through the medium term strategy (GTP) and Climate Resilient Green Economy (CRGE) strategy, Ethiopia has made important steps towards mainstreaming principles of sustainable development in its development process. The second target on goal 7 relates to the need to reduce biodiversity loss and the third and fourth targets seek to half the proportion of people without access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation and to improve the lives of slum dwellers by 2015.
With respect to access to safe drinking water, the review shows that the percentage of households with access to improved and safe drinking water has more than doubled over the last five years and reached 58.25% in 2011/12 (GTP APR MoFED, 2011/12).
Rural and urban sanitation coverage improved from 60% and 80% in 2010/11 to 64% and 86% in 2011/12, respectively. Likewise, the national sanitation coverage has increased from 63% in 2010/11 to 67% in 2011/12. Though the country is on track to meet the MDG targets, existing evidence suggests that the country should do a lot more to improve access to safe drinking water and sanitation services in the remaining years. Similar improvements have been made in construction of housing units in urban areas of the country. The review of country progress against set targets suggests that the country has the lowest carbon emission rates per capita in the world at less than 2t in 2011. Overall, total emissions of around 150 Mt CO2 represent less than 0.3% of global emissions target.
UNDP's work in Ethiopia
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG7
- Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources
- Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss
- Proportion of land area covered by forest and proportion of species threatened with extinction
- CO2 emissions, total, per capita and per $1 GDP (PPP)
- Consumption of ozone-depleting substances
- Proportion of fish stocks within safe biological limits
- Proportion of total water resources used
- Proportion of terrestrial and marine areas protected
- Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation
- Proportion of population using an improved drinking water source
- Proportion of population using an improved sanitation facility
- Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020
- Proportion of urban population living in slums